Added New Terrain: Forests

 I went hobby shopping for making wargame terrain this week. I decided I'd work on forest terrain. I found two sets of terrain at HobbyTown. They have Woodland Scenics deciduous and pine trees, ready made to go. There are 33 pine trees and 23 deciduous trees in a pack. More than enough to make good forest terrain..

I next got foam board at the local Kroger (grocery store). Man I wish I would have thought of this earlier. Foam board is very easy to cut with an exacto knife. I can use foam board to make buildings, figure bases, and more. It seems better than balsa wood but I won't rule out balsa wood for other projects just yet. Perhaps you know of best uses for both?

I cut out various shapes/patterns to make forest bases and tree lines from the foam board. I then painted them with a base of brown then a layer of green spray paint. I followed after while the paint was still wet with some grassy flock (I don't think I'll flock any future bases I make. for terrain. I find that the flock prevents the mounting putty to adhere well).

Lastly, when the paint has dried, I get a some mounting putty or "sticky tack," and put it just a tiny bit on the bottom of the trees I'll be using. I usually have 3 or 4 trees on a base. I even made a large 2' x 1" base to have a forest battle that can hold up to a dozen trees.





I prefer to use mounting putty over gluing the trees down as it gives me flexibility on where I can place the trees. 

I know more professional modelers know more tricks than I do on how to make their terrain look good. This is just a basic plan to get my wargames going in 15mm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparing Black Powder to Field of Battle

New Game System: Flames of War for World War II

Black Powder Rules Battle Report #1 The Battle of Many Mistakes