Going Back To A Childhood Hobby

Source: Flickr, labeled for reuse. Accessed 8/1/20 https://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/9726037094


I love toy soldiers. Growing up in the 1960's I played with them for hours both by myself and with friends. I played with knights in castles and for King Arthur to defeat Mordred. I played with pirates that would sail the seas. I had plastic army men from WWII and the Civil War and would act out the battles I learned or the movies/shows I watched. The stories were endless.

However,  by far my favorites were the painted "tin soldiers" in their vibrant, beautiful colors and uniforms. My aunt had a bunch of these. I remembered she had a set of Scottish Black Watch Highlanders that I would march around when I visited her. Painted soldiers are beautiful, masculine, and stylish.

Later, I found 15mm lead miniatures in the late 1970's. I painted a whole division of French Napoleonic line infantry and an employee at the local hobby shop asked me to paint an American Civil War "Glory" regiment of Civil War soldiers representing the Massachusetts's 54th. You may know this unit from the movie Glory with Denzel Washington. I was proud of my work and I wish I kept with the hobby. However, school, work and money took the interest out of my life. 

Now, that I have had more time due to Covid-19 It has given me time to go back and enjoy this old love of mine.

Why toy soldiers? Why the interest. The ideal of a soldier to me was one who is courageous, honor bound, and self-sacrificing. Soldiers are everyday men, for the most part, that serve their communities and country. I hope that my character is like this. They are a model of masculinity to me.  If I were to compare athletes to soldiers, the athlete competes for team or individual pride. The soldier fights in the conflicts of good and evil, in the conflicts of truth and justice.

Sadly, warfare deals with the study of mans failure in history to overcome sin at the societal level. We learn through this study of history and reenactment of these past failures so that we can protect our present and future in the lessons learned. I hope this hobby of mine will give glory and praise to Christ and enjoyment to those who participate in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparing Black Powder to Field of Battle

New Game System: Flames of War for World War II

Black Powder Rules Battle Report #1 The Battle of Many Mistakes